Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Front fender mod.

Well, I 'm back at it again. With my trusty Dremel in hand, I went to work on the front fender... finally. I taped the front and back off, made a few quick measurements, sketched out my idea on the fender, and started cutting. I know this look isn't for everyone, but it is growing on me. At first, I thought maybe it was a bit overboard. However, I think I'm staring to like it more everytime I look at it. I'm in the process of making new mounting brackets for it now. I'm lowering the fender around 1/2 inch. I will soon be needing to replace the tires, so I think the 1/2 inch lowered distance will accommodate the new rubber. At any rate, here are a few pictures of what I have so far. Keep in mind, the fender is simply resting on the tire, and not mounted yet. I have an aluminum shed that I do most of my work in, and we've been having thunderstorms everyday now for about a week. As you can imagine, this has delayed my progress immensely. I will post more, hopefully of the completed project, when mother nature allows. Until then...ride safe.

Sunday, June 20, 2010


Though I wasn't going to spend anytime working on the bike this summer, it seems I just couldn't help myself. With the addition of all the new glossy parts I've recently added to the front of the bike, the flat black headlight seemed to stick out like a sore thumb. So, I decided with the leftover paint from my last little project, I would remedy that issue. I removed the headlight, and was in between painting coats of gloss black when I happened to spot a small sheet of 16 gauge steel tucked away in the corner of the shed. Again, another left over from a previous project. The wheels in my brain began to spin. I've been wanting to remove the turn signals from the fork tubes, but haven't thought of a plan... until now. Using the vice, and a few well place bends, I shaped a bracket that was about 1/2 inch wider than the base of the headlight. After a little more measuring, and while waiting around to add the clear coat to the headlight, I took a dremel tool and cut the piece down to the height and depth I needed. Now, I simply took the grinding wheel and shaped the ends round, drilled holes to match the lower mount on the headlight, as well as ones for the signals, and started painting away on it as well. I'm pleased with the end results. The headlight is now gloss black and the front forks look much cleaner with the addition of the new mounting bracket for the signals. So, even though I originally said I wasn't going to work on the bike, I'm really glad I did. Until next time...ride safe!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Little Paint

I have not been doing a whole lot in the way of mods lately. I have finally decided to paint the speedometer housing black, to match everything else. I will probably remove it later and add a few more coats of clear, for that really deep shine I'm after. I have a few things I'm thinking about, but nothing major. From the begining to now, I've progressively become more engrossed with modifying and changing the looks of my bike, and though I still have several things I'm going to do, I will probably take the summer off to simply ride. I have enjoyed searching out and finding all of the parts, as well as watching my bike take on a different personality. So, taking the summer off will be new, and a bit of an adjustment for me. If anyone needs help finding a particular part, please let me know. I'll be happy to pitch in on the search. One last thing before I go, If you happen to be traveling through South Georgia, keep your eyes peeled for me. I'll be out there, and would love to meet some of you. Until then, Ride safe.