Friday, December 23, 2011

Tail Light and Signals Revisited

If you've been following along with this blog from the beginning, you already know I've previously replaced the OEM tail light, and rear turn signals. However, my recent thoughts are to replace both with an integrated run/turn/stop light. I'm thinking, while I'm at it, I may pick up a small piece of sheet metal and make a side mount license plate. If so, I plan on mounting the new tail light to it instead of back in the stock position. I've purchased what is referred to as a cat's eye styled tail light due to the uncanny resemblance it's shape bears to that of an actual cat's eye. My decision to purchase the integrated light is driven by my thoughts of replacing, or customizing the current rear fender. Removing the tail light, and current license plate mount will significantly increase the range of rear fender options. If I do remove the current signals completely from the rear fender, I may try to incorporate them in with the front signals giving either side of the headlight a dual setup. One pair of the signals will remain as running lights, while the other will be strictly signals. The idea is to wire them both to flash when signaling left or right, then have the dual filament lights simply remain on after the turn is complete. With the Holiday season upon us, my time for the bike will be limited as much of this time is spent with the family. I'm sure I'll manage to squeeze a little extra time out eventually though, and will repost later with pics of the light, and perhaps the install. I will certainly give more details then including my design ideas for all that I have planned. Until then...enjoy the Holidays, and ride safe.

No comments: