Monday, July 22, 2013

Ape Hanger Update

Well, this project is slowly coming to fruition. I have the bars and risers on the bike, but have removed all controls, cables and wiring. So far, my ever growing list of ideas is culminating into one big melting pot of work. I’m not saying I mind the work, but I do miss riding my bike. Here is what I have so far. I’ve ordered, and received new grips to replace the ones that became a casualty of removing the old bars. Previously, when installing the left side grip on the old set of dragbars, I used a tad of cheap epoxy to keep it in place. As it turns out, cheap epoxy holds much better than expected, and will stand up against most solvents, resulting in the removal of the grip with a dremel, large flat blade screwdriver, and a hammer. As you probably guessed, I had to buy new grips. Since I was content with the look of those, I simply ordered another set to replace them. Along with replacing the grips, I ordered a Harley Davidson single throttle cable housing, and a momentary waterproof starter switch. The plan here is to reduce as much bulk as possible from the bars. The HD housing is not only smaller, but it likewise eliminates the use of the saftey/push throttle cable. In addition to that, relocating the starter switch to elsewhere on the VStar should prove to clean up that side of the bars. I will most likely leave the left side as is. Currently, I have received about half of what I need to get this project complete. I will keep working at it little by little, and continue to update when I can. Ride safe…

No comments: