Monday, October 3, 2011

Black spikes!!!

No, I'm not thinking about riding the bike in a pair of my Wife's heels. That wouldn't exactly be the safest thing to do...she'd kill me. I'm talking about spikes for the bike.While looking my VStar over trying to decide what’s next, I made the observation that I’ve managed to swap out, or modify almost everything on the front with the exception of handgrips. I did add leather covers to both the grips and levers. However, I’m feeling it’s time for a change. Keeping with the black theme, I found a set of grips on eBay that are not only black, but spiked as well. Currently, the front sports a set of spiked fork bullets, as well as the fork tabs that I cut and shaped into a spike. I surmised the addition of the grips would add to the “look” my VStar is starting to exhibit, so they are on their way. I should receive them in the next couple of weeks, and will give more details on them then. This brings up the topic I left off with in my last entry.
I mentioned wanting to try my hand with metal, or fiberglass because of my desire to have a unique, one of a kind, rear fender. Black and spiked seems to fit the build best. I’ve thought, scrutinized, measured, and planned out several ideas in my head. All would work, and look good in theory. I just don’t know if the actual application would do the same. I will add though, I’ve strongly considered taking the easy way out with a not so unique look, just buying a fender, and cutting it to suit my style. My original plan was to build a fender that would bolt where the current fender struts do now, and do away with the struts completely. This would, in my opinion, make the lines of the bike flow much better. If I did venture into the realm of creativity for my fender needs, I would also like to design it as to include a custom made seat as well. I guess I’ll have to do a bit more research to see what I feel comfortable with, making one, or simply buying the fender and modifying it.
On a final note, while looking around on eBay for grips, I found another tidbit I might pick up if the price is right. Though I’ve replaced the risers already with Phat Risers, I might possibly change them out as well. There is a pair of black spiked 6” risers that I have my eye on. I’m not completely committed to the idea yet, but it’s definitely something I’m considering. The black theme was always the central idea, obviously because it’s a Midnight Custom. Within this past year or so, the spikes seem to be creeping their way in. I have a little more planning to do, but as you can see, I will have lots to talk about later…..Ride safe!

No comments: